Regenstrief Institute data experts are actively working to further the understanding of COVID-19 through real-world data. In the last week, the Regenstrief chief executive officer and a vice president have been lead authors on papers published in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).
Regenstrief President and Chief Executive Officer Peter Embí, M.D., M.S., is first author on a study analyzing the vaccine effectiveness for people who are immunocompromised, which is published in the MMWR. Vice President for Data and Analytics Shaun Grannis, M.D., M.S., is the first author on a paper about the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the Delta variant, also published in the MMWR. He made significant contributions to a paper on vaccine effectiveness in the New England Journal of Medicine and another paper in the MMWR comparing immunity provided by vaccinations to immunity provided by prior infection.
The papers, in order of publication, and list of Regenstrief authors, are:
- NEJM: Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccines in Ambulatory and Inpatient Care Settings
- Third author: Dr. Grannis
- Other Regenstrief authors: Brian Dixon, PhD, MPA, William Fadel, PhD, and Minish Ramesh Valvi, DrPH, MBBS, MPH
- MMWR: Interim Estimates of COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness Against COVID-19-Associated Emergency Department or Urgent Care Clinic Encounters and Hospitalizations Among Adults During SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta) Variant Predominance — Nine States, June–August 2021
- MMWR: Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 Among Adults Hospitalized with COVID-19–Like Illness with Infection-Induced or mRNA Vaccine-Induced SARS-CoV-2 Immunity — Nine States, January–September 2021
- Second author: Dr. Grannis
- Other Regenstrief authors: Dr. Dixon, Dr. Embí, Dr. Fadel and Dr. Valvi
- MMWR: Effectiveness of Two-Dose Vaccination with mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Against COVID-19-Associated Hospitalizations Among Immunocompromised Adults — nine states, January–September 2021
- First Author: Dr. Embí
- Other Regenstrief authors: Dr. Grannis, Dr. Dixon, Dr. Fadel and Dr. Valvi
These studies are all work of the CDC’s VISION Network, which is made up of seven organizations across the country — including Regenstrief — that submit real-world data for analysis.
About Peter Embí, M.D., M.S.
In addition to serving as the president and CEO of Regenstrief Institute, Peter Embí, M.D., M.S. is the Leonard Betley Professor of Medicine and associate dean for informatics and health services research at Indiana University School of Medicine, associate director of informatics with Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute and vice president for Learning Health Systems with Indiana University Health.
About Shaun Grannis, M.D., M.S.
In addition to his role as the vice president of data and analytics at Regenstrief Institute, Shaun Grannis, M.D., M.S., is the Regenstrief Chair in Medical Informatics and a professor of family medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine.