The William M. Tierney Center for Health Services Research at Regenstrief Institute works to improve the delivery and outcomes of health care through innovative use of health information, technology, and communication. Regenstrief health services researchers conduct high-impact, transdisciplinary research across multiple settings, including the Veterans Affairs Health Service Research & Development Center for Health Information and Communication (VA CHIC) embedded in the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center and the Indiana University School of Medicine on the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus. These IU, RI, and VA hubs form a campus-wide laboratory in which core scientists seek to improve the delivery of health care and improve the health outcomes of patients through attention to the following domains.
- Applied health informatics, human factors, and human-computer interaction
- Health-related communication and coordination of care through the study of patient-provider and provider-provider interactions
- Implementation science
- Organizational change and systems redesign
- Patient safety and quality of care
- Process improvement and systems-based interventions
- Research in health professions practice and education
RCHSR scientists apply expertise from the fields of health care, social sciences, engineering, informatics, and other disciplines to foster discovery of new knowledge and evidence-based practice in the following special emphasis areas.
- Pain assessment and management
- Cancer: population analytics, patient-centered informatics, survivorship, and prevention
- Health information exchange focusing on systems-based approaches to improving patient safety
- Local/Global health services research emphasizing sustainable programming in resource-poor or underserved areas
- Healthcare delivery for mental illness and symptom management
- Implementation and evaluation of electronic clinical quality measures to link effective use of data to provider actions that improve healthcare delivery and outcomes
Pharmaco-epidemiology and pharmaceutical outcomes research to improve healthcare decisions, treatment, and costs